21 January, 2010

Recently Jestered and Confused




Last week, Our friend Jester came to California to visit her grandmother and us. We took her up to Nice, CA, to visit her on and off again boyfriend for the day and after the three almost four hour ride from hell, no seriously, we all figured we somehow traveled though to a new demension where there's no sign of life for miles, just rocks, trees, grass, and endless curvey roads (Oh and turnouts every five feet), we finally arrive in Nice (A nice place to live according to the welcome sign). I thnk we were so bored on the trip up there, we started laughing at the road signs to try to pass the time. anyways, we arrive and they play singstar for a bit (I didn't join, cause I can't sing worth anything, though Jester and Lysander have great voices) then Jester's boyfriend put on District 9 for us to watch (another boring amount of time, I didn't find it as intresting as the movie poster looked) and then everyone decided to run a D&D 3.5 mini adventure. One of the Roommates, ran, while everyone (save me) played quickly made characters.

I decided to stay out of the game, since it has been well over 2 years since I've played 3.5 and I can't remember the rules, I just remember that I had a hard time with the rules when I did play in the past, so, trying to remember them on the spot, was, admitidly, kinda hard. thing was, everyone tried to get me to play, even though I said I don't remember the rules (oh we'll help you was the response, Do you know how much of an idiot I feel when I need help with that?) and Jester said that I would have to famliarize myself with the rules again if I want to play Daphne in the restarted (for the zillionth time) Greek Game. A campaign that actually brought both my character Daphne together with Lysander's character and me and Lysander together.

Daphne (my D&D character) has gone though so many rebuilds, one minute she was a bard, then another player said I didn't do it right, so he rebuilt her to a ranger, then something else happened and she was, last time I checked, a duel weilding barbarian that could take a hit and keep on going. (admitidly, I liked that for a while). levels dipped as low as 10 and up there as 15 till we finally settled on 13 before the game ended abruptly because one of the players decided to harrass Jester (and commiting several crimes in the prossess).

I know the revamped version would be only level 5, and I know Lysander and Jester will help me, but I just got fed up other people creating characters for me to play because I'm too stupid to do it myself. (and of course of the people forcing me to change because I can't play the class right or they can do it better so I get stuck wth some fighting class, even though I wanted to try to understand a magic user). I got tired of the bickering over the rules (even though I didn't get them, myself) and players acting like they are the most important one in the game, that the game should revolve around him (even though it's supposed to be a group of heroes, saving the world) (It would be like a Justice League comic, but only spotlighting Superman and how great he is, I think there is a comic for Superman, called Super man, Am I right?), and even going as far as over the GM's head to get his way (it's complicated)

I have expressed intrest in playing again, I know, but at the same time I thought we'd go with 4e, not 3.5e, but as of the talk on saturday and then again on sunday, it was 3.5. I know, those that are invited in playing in the new game won't pull the same crap that the it's-all-about-me guy did, but at the same time, I'm doubting I'm going to have any fun at all, the last several times I played, I didn't, so my hopes for the next time are dimming rapidly.

and because I'm being wishy-washy, I'm confusing not only myself but Lysander as well. He keeps telling me choose a direction and go with it, but I always have to look at all the options before I can choose. not to mention if I say yes, I'll play, what happens then if we don't start for another year and a half, I could be in a tottally different mindset then, than I am now. If I knew when the game would start, I would be more apt to make a decision.

And it's not just D&D I'm having problems with, BESM (or Big Eyes Small Mouth) game set I'm having problems with as well, and I have two ideas for games for that system, doesn't help that I don't have an actual copy of the book on me to look over, I have a hard time reading pdf's on the computer for some reason. (pdfs and me don't mix well). and I don't know all the rules for the game, and because the players I'll have know more then me, I'm not sure I'm going to have fun GMing the game, my last game ended in failure, I'm not to keen to have my own world end the same way.

now if they made a system where I can ENJOY reading the rules (most of these read like dry text books) then I may enjoy running a game in the system

No comments:

Post a Comment