17 February, 2010

Westminster Dog Show, and some about PETA

If you are in touch with the dog show world, The granddaddy of all dog shows here in the United States, Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, held it's 134th dog show at Madison Square Gardens earlier this week.

My Congrats goes to best in show: Sadie the Scottish Terrier.

the WKC donates to all different types of charities, including ASPCA, Angels on a Leash, Guide Dog Foundation for the blind along with other Dog related charities and several vet schools via scholarships.

In part, not only is it a dog show, but they also give back. I remember, it was either 2002 or 2003 when I watched and they did a recognition section on the search and rescue dogs that helped during the aftermath of 9/11 I found the below quote on their web page of others they have recognized

Recognition: Through the years, Westminster has recognized in the Garden and on national television heroic dogs, individuals and organizations whose work touches people in need. That includes heroic war dogs, fire department dogs, search and rescue dogs and people of 9/11, participants in the rescue and recovery effort in the Gulf States, service dogs and therapy dog teams and the people, patients and families they touch, and many more.

the dog food company Pedigree, was one of the sponsors of the show and  if you watched it on USA network, every commercial break they advertised for their shelter dog adoption campaign. under the tag line "Help us Help dogs" they wanted to raise money to help those dogs in shelters. For the money raised during the two night event, Pedigree was going to match it dollar for dollar. I believe over 250,000 was raised, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, as I was watching the best in show judging today on USA as a rerun, I noticed as the Dobie went around after being judged, I heard the crowd booing and noticed at the bottom of my screen, that someone held up a homemade sign that said MUTTS RULE. At first I didn't see anything wrong with that. I mean granted the dog show was about pure breds, and there's local dog shows that you can enter mutts, but the WKC and the AKC (American Kennel Club) their judging is about a pure bred dog verses the breed Standard. Two of my dogs could be up for those shows, but my mother and Father had no interest in showing or breeding our dogs. and my other dog is a mutt. so I have nothing against either side.

After seeing that Sadie won, I came online to see if I could find anything about the person who ran onto the show floor and waved that sign and came across something that PETA did for this year's Westminster.

According to their blog, they were "forced to watch" the commercials advertising the dog show on USA because their cat was asleep on their lap while they waited for "HOUSE" to come back on.  and their plan for this years dog show was to show up as Klansmen and point out the similarties between the AKC and the KKK.

Yes you are reading that right, according to the People for Ethical Treatment for Animals, the AKC and the KKK are BFF's. Promoting pure bred dogs is exactly like the whole Master Race that the KKK stand for.  this is from the blog in question:
This year, we're up to something different and thought-provoking: We'll show up dressed as Klansmen to point out some of the eerie similarities between the AKC and the KKK. Pure bloodlines, master race/master pedigree, woeful lack of fashion sense. Creepy, isn't it?

their "KKK recruiters" were handing out leaflets like the following (also see their blog link above)

 

 I'm not exactly sure where they get their facts, but here's one fact that I came across while researching a bit for this blog. They have their point coming across like all the dogs in shelters are mixed breeds or mutts. 

then I wonder how they feel that 25% of all dogs in Shelters are in fact Pure bred dogs. and the number one reason dogs end up in shelters is because the family moved and the new place won't allow dogs, or big dogs (I recently came across this problem since we recently moved, luckily, we found a place that did allow us to keep our dogs).

When I think I can't be surprised by anything PETA does or says, they come out of no where with a even bigger WTF in my book. So I think this picture below will say it all for me


1 comment:

  1. well didn't you tell me that they just as soon kill a shelter dog then allow it to be domesticated?

    ReplyDelete